Skaneateles (/ˌskæniˈætləs/, locally /ˌskɪniˈætləs/) is a village in the town of Skaneateles, Onondaga County, New York, United States. The village is named from and located on the shores of Skaneateles Lake, one of the Finger Lakes. The village, as of the 2000 census, has a population of 2,616 residents. The main highway through the community is U.S. Route 20, which heads out towards Auburn. US 20 and Skaneateles also serve as the northern terminus of New York State Route 41 and its suffixed route, New York State Route 41A.
Skaneateles, and the territory that makes up the town was originally placed in 1794 as part of nearby Marcellus, New York. Although the thought was that a man named John Thompson was the first permanent Caucasian settler in the area, facts and research have proved that Abraham A. Cuddeback was the first, arriving in 1794 from Minisink, New York. After beginning to build up the area in current-day Skaneateles, Cuddeback died in 1831. The town and village of Skaneateles were annexed from Marcellus and Spafford on February 26, 1830 and March 18, 1840 respectively.