The Großer Burgberg is a 483 metre high hill on the northern slopes of the Harz mountains in central Germany which lies right on the edge of the town of Bad Harzburg. In front of it is the Kleiner Burgberg. From both peaks there are sweeping views over the town and the Harz Foreland. On the Burgberg plateau are the Canossa Column and the ruins of Harzburg castle. The column was built in 1877 in honour of Otto von Bismarck. Since 1929 there has been a cable car from the B 4 federal road in the valley of the river Radau up to the summit.