The Kunsthaus Zürich houses one of the most important art museums in Switzerland and Europe, collected by the local Kunstverein, called Zürcher Kunstgesellschaft, and holdings running from the Middle Ages to contemporary art, with an emphasis on Swiss art.
Kunsthaus is also the name of the tram stop next to the museum, properly on Pfauenplatz, between the museum building and the Schauspielhaus Zürich.
The museum was planned by architect Karl Moser and Robert Curjel, and built and opened in 1910. The bas-reliefs on the facade are by Moser's longtime collaborator Oskar Kiefer.
The museum's collection includes works from Edvard Munch, Jacques Lipchitz and Alberto Giacometti. Swiss artists such as Johann Heinrich Füssli, Ferdinand Hodler or from recent times, Pipilotti Rist and Peter Fischli are also represented.