Chiesa di San Giacomo dall'Orio

Architecture & Buildings

Europe, Italy, Venice

The Chiesa di San Giacomo dall'Orio (or San Giacomo Apostolo - St James the Apostle) is a church located in the middle of a residential district of Venice. The origin of the church's name is unknown. Possibilities include being named after a laurel (lauro) that once stood nearby, a version of dal Rio ("of the river"), or once standing on an area of dried-up swamp (luprio). It was founded in the 9th century and rebuilt in 1225. The campanile dates from this period. There have been a number of rebuildings since that time (including a major renovation in 1532) and the ship's keel roof dates from the 14th century. Two of the columns were brought back from the Fourth Crusade. San Giacomo dall'Orio is a parish church of the Vicariate of San Polo-Santa Croce-Dorsoduro. The other churches in the parish are San Stae and San Zandegolà.