The Chiesa di San Salvatore (of the Holy Saviour) is a church in Venice, northern Italy. Known in Venetian dialect as San Salvador, is located on the Campo San Salvador, along the Merceria, the main shopping street of Venice. The church was first consecrated in 1177 by Pope Alexander III shortly after his reconciliation with Emperor Frederick Barbarossa at nearby San Marco. The present church, however, was begun in around 1508 by Giorgio Spavento and continued after his death the following year by Tullio Lombardo, Vincenzo Scamozzi and possibly Jacopo Sansovino. They built a large hall church, formed from three Greek crosses placed end to end. Each has a dome with a lantern to let light into the cavernous interior. The facade was added in 1663 by Giuseppe Sardi.
Adjoining the church is the former monastery, now the offices of the telephone company, which still contain Sansovino's magnificent cloisters.
San Salvador is parish church of a parish in the Vicariate of San Marco-Castello. Other churches in the parish are San Bartolomeo and San Zulian.
San Salvador is a small but very active religious, cultural and social centre. Every year concerts, art exhibitions, and spiritual encounters are organized and held in and around the church. Its web site offers practical, historical and artistic information, as well as assistance to visitors and the dates of its many activities and initiatives. It is a sincere welcome to all visitors in the warmest of Christian tradition, offering the opportunity to get in touch with the parish and Venetian diocesan community.