Sant’Eligio degli Orefici

Architecture & Buildings

Europe, Italy, Rome

Sant'Eligio degli Orefici is a church in Rome, Italy. Initially designed by Raphael for the Guild of Goldsmiths when they split off from the Guild of Ironworkers in 1509 and dedicated to their patron saint Eligius, it was completed by Baldassarre Peruzzi and Bastiano da Sangallo. Besides his work on St Peter's Basilica, this is the only church in Rome that, although partially, can definitely be attributed to Raphael. Its cupola is attributed to Baldassare Peruzzi and the interior is also by Raphael, in a Bramante-like style, though the present façade is early 17th century and by Flaminio Ponzio.