Villa Kerylos in Beaulieu-sur-Mer was built in the early 1900s by Theodore Reinach, the famous French archaeologist and his wife Fanny Kann, a daughter of Maximilien Kann and Betty Ephrussi, of the Ephrussi family. The architect was Emmanuel Pontremoli. A Greek word, "Kerylos" means Halcyon or kingfisher which in Greek mythology was considered a bird of good omen. Madame Fanny Reinach was a cousin of Maurice Ephrussi, who was married to Béatrice de Rothschild, hence the location of Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild at nearby Cap Ferrat. The Greek-style property was gifted to the Institut de France in 1928 and is now a museum open to the public.