Formerly known as Kandang Kerbau Hospital, KK Women's and Children's Hospital (Abbreviation: KKH; Chinese: 竹脚妇幼医院; Malay: Hospital Wanita dan Kanak-kanak Kandang Kerbau) is now the largest hospital specialising in healthcare for women and children in Singapore.
From its humble beginnings as a small general hospital in 1858 to a 30-bed maternity hospital in 1924, KKH has grown into an 827-bed hospital providing obstetric and gynaecology, neonatology and paediatric services. Often affectionally referred to as "KK" amongst locals, it is the birthplace of a sizeable proportion of Singaporeans, delivering over half of total newborns in the country as early as 1938.
In 1966, the hospital entered the Guinness Book of Records for delivering the highest number of newborns within a single maternity facility for that year, and it continued to hold on to this record for a full decade, delivering 85% of the population year after year.
When the hospital moved to its present site, the old premises was marked as a historical site by the National Heritage Board, a tribute to an institution which has been the birthplace of over 1.2 million Singaporeans since its inception.