The Naumburger Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul, located in Germany, is an important architectural work of the Late-Romanic as well as the Early- and Late-Gothic. Especially interesting are statues of the twelve cathedral founders (Stifterfiguren) and the magnificent Lettner of the western choir, works of the Naumburg masters. The church was erected with the transfer of the Episcopal See from Zeitz in 1028 next to an old Parish church. Thus it is the proto-cathedral of the former Catholic Diocese of Naumburg-Zeitz. After the Reformation, in 1542, it became the see of a Protestant Bishop, Nikolaus von Amsdorf, until 1548, then the Catholic Bishop, Julius von Pflug, returned, but when he died, in 1564, it lost its function as episcopal see and fell under the control of the Electorate of Saxony. It remains an Evangelical church today.