Bristol Grammar School is a co-educational independent school in Clifton, Bristol, England.
It was founded in 1532 by two brothers, Robert and Nicholas Thorne, when it was housed in the St Bartholomew's Hospital, as part of the new founding of schools after Henry VIII's closure of the monasteries, where previously a large proportion of England's education had occurred. The school motto Ex Spinis Uvas, which translates as "From Thorns Grapes", is a play upon the names of the school founders Robert and Nicholas Thorne. The school became a direct grant grammar school in 1946 as a result of the Education Act 1944 and chose to become independent when direct grants were abolished by the 1974–9 Labour Government.
The modern school is in three separate sections: the Lower School takes children from the ages of 7 to 11, the Upper School is for students aged between 11 and 16 studying for GCSEs, and the Sixth Form is for students from 16 to 18 studying for their A-levels. There are around 1,130 children in the school, of which around 40 percent are girls, since its switch from boys-only to coeducational in 1980. BGS recently celebrated 25 years of girls at the school.
The ratio of boys to girls remains steady at a third girls to two thirds boys. The school is fee-paying, but students from families with low incomes can be provided with completely free places.