The extensive Belvedere complex consists of two Baroque palaces the Upper and Lower Belvedere, the Orangery, and the Palace Stables. The buildings are set in a Baroque park landscape in the 3rd district of Vienna, south-east of the city centre. It houses the Belvedere museum. The grounds are set on a gentle gradient and include decorative tiered fountains and cascades, Baroque sculptures, and majestic wrought iron gates. The Baroque palace complex was built as a summer residence for Prince Eugene of Savoy. The Belvedere was built during a period of much construction in Vienna, which at the time was both the imperial capital and home to the ruling dynasty. Many of the city's most opulent edifices date from this era. The buildings commissioned by Prince Eugene, in particular the Belvedere, number among them. This period of prosperity followed on from the commander-in-chief Prince Eugene of Savoy's successful conclusion of a series of wars against the Ottoman Empire. The crushing defeat of the Turkish army under his leadership at Senta in 1697, and the ensuing Treaty of Karlowitz that was signed in 1699 under favourable terms to Austria finally brought to an end the conflict with the Ottoman Empire that had been raging since 1683.