Marktkirche

Architecture & Buildings

Europe, Germany, Region Hannover

The Marktkirche ("The Church on the Marketplace") St. Georg and St. Jakobus ("St. George and St. James") is the main Lutheran church in Hanover. It was built in the 14th century and, together with the nearby Old Town Hall, is considered the southernmost exemplar of the "North German brick gothic" (Norddeutsche Backsteingotik) architectural style. The roof and the vaults of the naves were destroyed in an air raid in 1943 and rebuilt in to the same plan in 1952. Even though it's been the church of the Lutheran bishop of Hanover since 1925 it is not called a cathedral. The church is a "Hallenkirche" ("hall church") which means that the sidenaves are as high as the middle nave. Above the three naves rises a monumental saddleback roof. The high western tower was a symbol for the power and the wealth of the citizens of the town. Until today it's one of the largest in Lower-Saxony.