Orientation & Geography

Europe, Ukraine, Golosiivskyi district

Feofaniya (Ukrainian: Феофанія), Theophania is a historical neighborhood on the southern outskirts of Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. The neighborhood is located in the administrative Holosiivskyi Raion (district) amidst the neighborhoods of Holosiiv, Teremky, Pyrohiv and Khotiv. The park's total area is about 1.5 km (0.58 sq mi). In Feofania was built the first Soviet computer MESM by Lebedev team. Feofaniya was first mentioned in 1471 as Lazorivschyna (Лазорівщина), which at the time belonged to an owner named Khodiki. The name is said to derive from a monk named Lazar. In the 17th century, the area was refer to as Shakhravschyna (Шахравщина). The modern name Feofaniya dates back to 1803 when Feofan Shiyanov settled in the area, set aside for charity purposes. During the 1860s, Feofaniya belonged to the St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery in central Kiev. Buildings built in the area were constructed in the Ukrainian Baroque style, however, they did not survive. In 1919, Feofaniya was converted to a sovkhoz, and later the main observatory for the Institute of Botany of the Ukrainian Academy of Science. In 1972, Feofaniya was declared a park, and from 1992—a government designated park, which belongs to the "Feofaniya" conservatory of the National Academy of Science of Ukraine. Reconstruction work began on the area in 2004, which, when finished (projected in 2008) will include new landscaping, water and canal features. Located near Feofaniya are the St. Panteleimon's Convent, the Nikolay Bogolyubov Institute of Theoretical Physics, and the Government Clinical Hospital "Feofaniya."