The Stag's Head is a celebrated pub in Dublin, Ireland. It is located near Trinity College Dublin and is popular with both local students and a core of die-hard regulars. Records of a public house on the site of the Stag's Head date to 1770 (original construction by a Mr. Tyson) and 1895 (extensive rebuilding). The Stag's is known for the splendid preservation of its Victorian interior and the beautifully-restored mosaic which abutsDame Street, some distance from the pub's doors. It is also well known for its pub grub.
The name "Tyson," and Mr. Tyson's initials, decorate the old clock and the wrought-iron of the exterior. It may be in regard to this clock (among others) that writer and satirist Myles na gCopaleen popularized the saying "Andy Clarkin's Clock Is Still Stopped", with which Dublin's citizens were asked to greet one another. (However, it is more likely that Myles was referring to the clock outside Clarkin's offices on Pearse Street). Mr. Tyson is also believed to have contributed to the construction of a permanent pavement over Dame Lane.
A stuffed fox takes pride of place in the groundfloor snug of the Stag's Head (known by the local students as the "Stag's Arse"), while a large Stag's Head decorates the main bar.
During the 1980s and 1990s, the owners, the Shaffrey family avoided "Irish-Pubification" that many other pubs in Dublin had suffered, fearing that they would lose their regular clientele.
The pub has been featured in many films, notably "A Man of No Importance", starring Albert Finney.
The establishment was sold in 2005 for €5.7M and bought by the Louis Fitzgerald Group. The group owns a number of pubs in Dublin including the Quays (and in Galway), Kehoes on South Anne Street and the Arlington.
A number of changes have made to the pub since the sale, most notably the introduction of a television set to the bar area.