Palm Springs International Airport (IATA: PSP, ICAO: KPSP, FAA LID: PSP) is a public airport located two miles (3 km) east of the central business district (CBD) of Palm Springs, California, serving the Inland Empire Metropolitan Area of Southern California. The airport covers 940 acres (380 ha) and has two runways. It is highly seasonal, in that many flights do not operate during the summer.
PSP was originally constructed as a United States Army Air Forces airfield in 1939 on land owned by the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians. The City of Palm Springs purchased the land in 1961 and converted it for commercial use, which began in 1964 as the Palm Springs Municipal Airport.
On December 30, 2006, Air Force One left Palm Springs International Airport with the body of the 38th President of the United States, Gerald R. Ford. The body of the President was flown to Washington, D.C., for official federal services.