Le Grand Rex is the largest cinema, theater and music venue in Paris. It is well known for its room with 2,800 seats, its starry vault, its water spectacle and its Art Deco style architecture. It also features the largest screen in Europe, called grand large. It was used as a "Soldatenkino" (Soldier's theatre) during the German occupation.
The theatre was built by Jacques Haïk, a wealthy film producer. It was designed by Romanian-American architect John Eberson, renowned known for his previous work with movie palaces in the United States Construction began in 1931, and the theater opened its doors the following year on the night of December 8. It has had protected status since 1981.
Situated at 1 Boulevard Poissonnière, 2nd arrondissement of Paris, Le Grand Rex is served by the métro station of Bonne Nouvelle.