La Muette


Europe, France, Paris

La Muette is a station on line 9 of the Paris Métro, in France, named after the Chaussée de la Muette, a nearby street. The station opened on 8 November 1922 with the opening of the first section of the line from Trocadéro to Exelmans. The Chaussée de la Muette is named after the Château de la Muette,which was converted from a hunting lodge to a small castle for Marguerite de Valois, the first wife of King Henry IV of France. The meaning of the name of the hunting lodge is not known. It may have derived from "muete", a spelling which appears frequently up to the end of the eighteenth century and which signifies a pack of deer-hounds (meute); it may have come from the "mues" or horns which stags shed in the autumn; or again from the "mue" or moulting-period of hunting hawks. The old château was demolished in the 1920s to make room for a wealthy housing estate. A new château was built nearby for Baron Henri James de Rothschild (1872–1947) in 1922. This is now the headquarters for the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.