West Port

Orientation & Geography

Europe, United Kingdom, City of Edinburgh

(The) West Port is a street in Edinburgh's Old Town, Scotland, located just south of the Edinburgh Castle. It runs from Main Point (the junction of Bread Street, Lauriston Street, East Fountainbridge and High Riggs) down to the south west corner of the Grassmarket. Its name derives from the fact it led to the West Port, which was the only westwards exit from the city when the city walls stood, allowing one to pass through the Flodden Wall. The port (gate) itself was demolished in 1786.