The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) has one of the largest, most significant art collections in the United States. In 2003, the DIA ranked as the second largest municipally owned museum in the United States, with an art collection valued at more than one billion dollars. With over 100 galleries, it now covers 658,000 square feet (61,130 m²); a major renovation and expansion project completed in 2007 added 58,000 sq. ft. (5,388 m²). The museum building is highly regarded by architects. The original building, designed by Paul Philippe Cret, is flanked by north and south wings covered with a white marble exterior. It is part of the city's Cultural Center Historic District listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The museum's first painting was donated in 1883 and its collection consists of over 65,000 works. The DIA is an encyclopedic museum: its collections span the globe from ancient Egyptian works to contemporary art. The DIA is located in Midtown Detroit's Cultural Center, about two miles (3 km) north of the downtown area, near Wayne State University. The Detroit Institute of Arts hosts major art exhibitions and also contains the 1,200-seat Detroit Film Theatre (designed by movie palace architect C. Howard Crane).