Kenyatta National Hospital in Nairobi is the oldest hospital in Kenya. Founded in 1901 with a bed capacity of 40 as the Native Civil hospital, it was renamed the King George VI in 1952. At that time the settler community were served by the nearby European Hospital (now Nairobi Hospital). It was renamed Kenyatta National Hospital -- after Jomo Kenyatta -- following independence from the British. It is currently the largest referral and teaching hospital in the country.
Kenyatta National Hospital has a capacity of 1800 beds and has over 6000 staff members. It covers an area of 45.7 hectares. The University of Nairobi Medical School, and several government agencies are located on the campus.