The Ponte dell'Accademia is one of only four bridges in Venice to span the Grand Canal. It crosses near the southern end of the canal, and is named for the Accademia galleries.
First suggested as early as 1488, a bridge was not constructed until 1854. The original steel structure, designed by Alfred Neville, was demolished and replaced by a wooden bridge in the 1930s, despite widespread hopes for a stone bridge.
The second bridge, in a dangerous condition, was razed and replaced by the present bridge, of identical construction, in 1985.