Beach 25th Street, also known as Beach 25th Street – Wavecrest, is a station on the IND Rockaway Line of the New York City Subway, located in Queens on the Rockaway Freeway at Beach 25th Street. It is served by the A train at all times.
The station was originally opened by the Long Island Rail Road in May 1928 as Wavecrest Station, and was closed and relocated 800 feet east of the former location in August 1940 as part of a grade elevation project. The elevated station was opened on April 10, 1942, but was closed on October 3, 1955 as part of its transfer to the New York City Transit Authority, which reopened it as a subway station on June 28, 1956.
As the Rockaway Line was originally operated by the Long Island Rail Road, the platforms here were built to hold twelve-car trains (of 85 foot cars), a typical length of an LIRR train. This station is on a concrete viaduct with ballasted track. Exit is near the center to the tile mezzanine. The mezzanine is four stories high. This station was the terminal for the Far Rockaway branch until the opening of Far Rockaway – Mott Avenue station nineteen months later.