The village of Viscri (German: Deutschweißkirch or simply Weißkirch; Hungarian: Szászfehéregyháza), is part of Buneşti commune in Romania. The village is small, with a population of roughly 400 people; of which 30 are Saxon. Most though identify themselves as Romanian, with a few calling themselves Roma or gypsies. Viscri lies northwest of Rupea and can be reached through Dacia on a 7 km unpaved road. It is best known for its highly fortified church, originally built around 1100 AD. The first documentation of Viscri is a record of church taxes dated around 1400, in which the village is referred to as being part of the Rupea parish. Its inhabitants consisted of 51 farmers, 1 school master, 3 shepherds and 2 paupers. Viscri is part of the Saxon villages with fortified churches in Transylvania, designated in 1993 as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.